Thursday 28 August 2008

And I'm Back!



This is my first blog post after an extremely long hiatus. I've taken the last two months off from working on Moose & Bear for a couple of reasons. The main one is that it's summer - the sun is shining, I'm spending more and more time outside with friends, and less time inside with wool and the internet. That has naturally led to a down-turn in productivity. I've also noticed that sales seem to go down in the summer (maybe just mine!) so that contributed to a sense of, well, not quite enniu, but certainly a feeling that there could be more fun things to do rather than promoting my shop and making cute stuff.
Summer is still going, but, like many crafty peeps, I'm already starting to get excited about Christmas. This will be my first real Christmas on Etsy (and also Dawanda - woo hoo for my new Euro site!), and I'm looking forward to it. I'm already planning lists of things I want to make, and even starting to make them. I am really going to be focused on amigurumis this year, because they are so cute and fuzzy. The only problem is that they take a while to make, hence the early preparation. My to-make list is 70 items long, and growing all the time - eeek! I also think that my felt badge with embroidered words will do well. I've also started to develop a line of embroidered scenes to hang in kids rooms - I really want them to do well, as I adore making them. However, I haven't noticed a huge number of them selling on Etsy, so it might be a bit hit or miss. I've posted a picture of my first one below. The last time I was posting, I was writing a lot about play food - well, I'm still pleasantly obssessed with that, so expect to see plenty of cakes and donuts in the store looking cute and edible.



I have had one major disappointment. Way back in February I was asked by a gallery to do some consignment work for them. They sent me some paperwork and I agreed. I finally received what was supposed to be my first payment in July, after chasing them for a couple of months. However, the cheque bounced. I complained, they sent me another cheque, but it has bounced again, and they are not responding to emails. Whenever I call, they tell me the manager will call me back. A sad story, and one that has put me off consignment forever. I just feel thoroughly ripped off. They contact a lot of British artists through Etsy, so I can't decide whether to name and shame so as to warn other people off....
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

stitch.tac.sew said...

I am so dissapointed to hear about the bounced payments.

I do share your enthusiasm on christmas though! This is my first Christmas on Etsy and I hope I'm not too ambitious with all I want to make.

I'm also doing my first craft fair and I'm so nervous. Good luck!

paper-and-string said...

welcome back :-)
I think name & shame...they have probably done this to loads of people who are too polite to spill the beans...I, for one, wouldn't shop at a consignment store that didn't pay the artists!!
disgusting!
xxx

Rosebud Collection said...

It would be nice to warn others..Usually, if I do consignment here, I try and get all I know about the shop..Sorry you had such a bad experience..Your work is lovely.

fi at moose and bear said...

That's two votes for name and shame then....

Paula Clare said...

Welcome back! You were missed...but I don't blame you for hanging in the out of doors while the sun's shining! It's good for your disposition if nothing else!

I just love your little embroidery girl! SO CUTE! I don't embroidery very well myself, so I'm always enamoured with those who can/do.

I agree with paper-and-string...spill it: name names, call them on the carpet. Too many good artists are taken advantage of and ripped off...it's NOT RIGHT!

Anyhoo, glad to see you're back!