Tuesday 29 April 2008

Philosophy of Failure




Not hitting your targets is hard. Especially when you have been having a successful run at things. I haven't hit my April sales target, and in fact have missed it by a significant stretch. This might be my second-best month on Etsy, but it has been my most disappointing in terms of expectations.
Missing your goals is tough. It doesn't matter where you miss them, be it a fitness goal, a sales goal, a maths score, it is always disappointing. And of course, it is inevitable as well. At some point, we all fail. And if we don't fail, we don't really get tested as a person - we don't really understand the joys of our success if we haven't tasted defeat. And yet. And yet missing your goals also draws in self-doubt, the whispers of failure, the nagging thoughts of just jacking it all in. So, how can we turn missing our goals into something positive?
Well, it gives us a chance to reassess ourselves. This is a crucial part of any learning exercise. Let's go through my thoughts on my failure this month, and see what sort of action list I draw up for May.
  • Are my products right? Well, I've been shifting my products slightly, and maybe I have gone too far away from the crochet products in preference of the easier to make felt badges. My word badges usually sell pretty quickly, quicker than the pretty embroidered badges. ACTION: work on creating at least four crochet pieces this month to list. List more word badges.
  • Have I promoted as much? I haven't been posting as much in the forums, since I was worried that I was going to lose my job from my far too frequent etsy surfing. I'm not going to go back to that though! I did spend some time in chat rooms, and that vastly increased my hearts and views, but did nothing for my sales (short term). I also haven't been posting as much to flickr. My blog posts have been fairly consistent. ACTION: spend at least two hours a week posting photos to flickr, taking part in groups, commenting etc. Try to upload at least 2 new photos twice a week. Also, do at least one myspace promotion this month.
  • Have I been listing/relisting as often? Yes. I've been listing/relisting almost every day. I am loathe to get into things more than that, as my products are not such high cost that it is worth spending a large amount of relisting fees. I have a reasonable number of new products to list that I can continue to list something new every day for the next couple of weeks. ACTION: continue with listing trends.
  • Have I been advertising enough? I've had one round of project wonderful advertising. That is probably not enough, to be honest. ACTION: undertake at least 2 campaigns of PW advertising through May.
There's also the question of outside factors, and whether I set myself realistic targets in the first place.
I believe, that whether you are doing well or not, that it is important every so often to stop and reassess - what am I doing, how am I doing it, and is it working?
Let's see if my proposed actions have a positive impact on Moose and Bear over the next month.

6 comments:

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

chin up my friend! i have also had a slump in sales, but my sister in law is soaring with hers. not sure if we can pin point what/where/why. i am taking a hard look at my slow sales also. i like your word felt badges. if the easier word ones sell quicker, by all means, supply the world with them and continue working on some things that are different. you never know what your brain will come up with! good post.

Rosebud Collection said...

Very informative blog..You are doing great work, but I think times are in a little slump and that does causes a slowdown.

Unknown said...

I didnt reach my April goals for online sales either...bummer. May will be different hopefully! I am going to have some new tactics for my show next weekend...get people thinking about Mother's Day and Graduation, Prom (if it hasnt already happened), etc.

Good luck, your plan seems like it will work for you :)

The Nature Nut said...

Promoting is the key for me. If I don't promote I don't make any sales :o(

Don't get down about it though, and be careful not to put your job in jeapardy over it. If you're like me your etsy sales will never pay the bills like your regular day job does.

Everything will work out.

Maria Palma said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! Just focus on just enjoying the process. I used to focus on the sales and somehow making jewelry just didn't seem fun anymore. Don't lose that passion!

fi at moose and bear said...

thanks for all the support everyone!! It's really nice to know that you are out there, and going through similar things and processes. I'm going to be getting back to making stuff this week after taking some time out, and I'm excited! :)