Saturday 29 March 2008

Multi-Avenue Promotions


I have frequently extolled the absolute necessity of promoting your Etsy store outside of Etsy. The last couple of days for me have been absolute proof of that. Last weekend I made a sale that started with someone spotting something I made on the front page and blogging about it. I discovered this, and then commented on his blog, we had a nice little conversation, and a few days later, he made the purchase. I really don't think that he would have had I not commented on his blog and blogged about him. Then, a few days later, I made a sale thanks to my frequent twittering, and this morning I woke up to three more sales to someone who counts me as a flickr contact. If I'd only stuck to promoting within Etsy, these sales would never have happened. But, and this is the best bit, they really didn't take that much effort from me. I love flickr anyway, and have happily lost hours whilst looking at other photos and sorting my on. Twitter, as I've already blogged about, is such an easy way to connect with people.

So, what makes effective flickr marketing? Easy. Add your photos to groups. Add contacts. Make comments on photos. Repeat. Just beware that you don't lose three hours of your life there - so easy to do!!

And for twitter - talk about your life, talk about your products, add links to your blog and new listings. Tweet to other people, get involved.

Oh, and finally, isn't my new "I heart geeks" badge awesome!! I love it, and really wanted to keep it.

5 comments:

Gretel said...

Tweet tweet!

(which is Twitter-eze for 'hear hear')

I sometimes try to explain to non-computer people how I am never alone even though I spend most days on my own in the studio...and how 99% of my business is gained from 'spending too much time on the PC'. I don't think they quite understand...

Handcrafted by LaMar said...

this post is so true to every word in it. I believe it is important (if you want to to see sales) to promote outside of etsy, but I am still trying to budget my time between creating, blogging, free ads, finding shows and posting in flickr indie and all the others

Laura said...

What I love about all the connections is how different it is over the world and yet it's very familar as well. I have been so inspired by all the wonderful talent out there. Being here in AK can be very isolating with the long, cold, dark winters so it's nice to have my web friends to keep me motivated.

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

great blog today. it has inspired me to get bakc to my flickr account and give it some much needed tlc.

have to check out this twitter thang' too.

thanks for the inspiration!

capitolagirl said...

Love the geek badge, and your post. I have friends who run brick and mortar businesses, and your theory on relationships is so true. Building relationships with your customers is an essential part of the sales process, whether you are selling online or off.