Wednesday 26 March 2008

Twitter Tastic!!

I'm not posting or listing anything today - the light is horrible and I can't get a good photo of things I've made. Instead, let me talk about my latest online obsession. Over the last couple of months, I've started using Twitter. Twitter is a micro-blogging platform that I first read about it in the storque, etsy's news area, and thought, hmm, that sounds fun. Well, okay, I first really signed up to twitter about six months ago, but at that point, I couldn't really see the point. Twitter seems to be reaching a really interesting critical mass at the moment - problogger uses it to connect to his readers, and dooce just blogged about it this week as well. I'm really enjoying my little twitterfox that pops up and tells me the antics of some fairly random crafty and fashion peeps all over the world. Following a post of on the Etsy forums, people started adding each other as friends - I currently only have about 50 "followers", as opposed to my 500+ myspacers. But I wouldn't want to have 500 twitter people - then I would be deluged with "tweets". Tweets are 140 character long messages that people send via twitter to provide updates on their life. It's amazing how informative a 140 character post is. Jellypotpie provides frequent updates on her running. paintgranny tells us about her weather. Delightfully tells us about new sales and cheers everyone else on with theirs. I talk a lot about lost crochet hooks and jaffa cakes. We all provide updates on our creative processes, new listings, and new blog posts. The joy of twitter is not just the public posting, but the ability to reply straight back to people directly - conversations start, relationships build, and connections get stronger. I would like to think that this is all part of a bigger strategy to build up customers, rapport and more. But in the meantime, it's not much effort, and rather addictive.

Follow me on twitter.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

how is it working?
I don't notice much traffic at all.
I'm goig to see your shop now

Hey Harriet said...

Thanks for sharing that. I'm feeling much more enlightened now, as I'd heard of Twitter before but really had no idea what it was all about. Sounds very cool!

Caroline said...

I have a Twitter account but haven't used it on a regular basis... I really need to start, apparently! I'm following you now :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Thanks for sharing the info on twitter. I've never heard of twitter before I'll have to check into it. Your blog is great :)

Anonymous said...

hello, thanks for the info on twitter. i've never heard of it before and will have to look into it. You have a fabulous blog :)

Allison said...

I never got into it - but I'm glad others find a good use for it! :]

Anonymous said...

i guess i need to twitter more often and see what's going on in the world!

Rosebud Collection said...

I wouldn't dare go there..I am hooked on the blogs at Etsy and spend too much time reading..my family would never hear from me again, if I signed up on Twitter.