Sunday 16 March 2008

My first craft fair and getting back to the real world

I've been completing neglecting my blog for the last week, on account of the freakish amount of crafting I have done to try and build up a heap of stock for the craft fair I was at yesterday. It was the Glasgow Craft Mafia market, and my first ever fair. More thoughts on that further down the post.

Firstly, one week's intense crafting (and we're talking still going to work every day), with the extreme support of a very understanding boyfriend produced:
  • 3 crocheted ninjas
  • 2 felt ninjas
  • 2 crocheted whales
  • 2 crocheted elephants
  • 10 felt badges
  • 2 plush bunnies
  • 1 crocheted octopus
  • 2 plush monsters
Quite a haul, don't you think? I definitely don't want to leave everything to the last minute again, but it was great to see how productive I can be if I really put my mind to it? And I did still enjoy doing it, but like anytime I feel that I'm crafting to order, I did feel a bit constrained, and right now I have a heap of new designs in my head that I want to try out, so I'll work on that for the next week or so. I have another fair in about six weeks, so I'll try and be more organised in thinking about my stock.

So, how did the fair go? Well, it was my first fair, so I'm not sure how much I can really measure it, but I have to admit to feeling a bit disappointed. I just about made back by entry fee, and by watching the other people there, I wasn't doing any worse or any better than anyone else. It was held upstairs in a library, and there were very few signs outside to let people know that it was going on. There was a fantastic banner made by the craft mafia, but unfortunately they weren't allowed to hang it up downstairs. The Byers Road in Glasgow is the perfect place for the fair to be, but the lack of signs on the day really meant that the footfall wasn't fantastic. When people did come in, then it was great, but at most parts of the day, the number of sellers in the room outnumbered the buyers. A real shame, and I don't know if it was just a once-off for that event, or an ongoing issue. I did get a chance to meet some really cool people and see some fantastic stuff, so that was really good. If possible, I would like to try it again to see if it was just a once-0ff.

I haven't listed a single thing of Etsy for all of March, so I will be spending the next ten days or so listing something new every day, so it'll be interesting to see if that is good for sales there.


9 comments:

Gretel said...

Not surprised you had sore fingers after all that! Your Etsy shop is looking lovely and full though :)

Caroline said...

Sorry to hear your craft fair experience was disappointing, but I suppose it was a learning experience? Better luck next time! :)

mafia said...

Hi, We welcome all feedback about our markets and could have answered any concerns you had if you'd spoken to us on the day or emailed us after the event. Our markets are organised by volunteers many of whom work full time on top of running their own small business and being in the mafia.
Our press lady worked very hard to secure coverage in The List and in several online listings guides, blogs and sites. There were posters erected by friends on Byres Road on the day but unfortunately due to restrictions enforced by the council we were unable to hang our banner outside the library.
Given how unusually quiet Byres Road was that day, footfall was reasonably good at the market. We're sorry this did not translate into sales for you.

UniqueNurseGranny said...

You have been busy.I was disappointed in my first but did not make back the entry fee and it was three days with one rained out.At least it seemed others did no better.Maybe next time?

Home Hooked said...

That's too bad about the craft fair. We had one at work a couple weeks ago. I didn't sell anything and my mom only sold 4 things. Thank goodness they only took a commission and didn't have a fee for a table. Good luck on your next craft fair!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't have a good experience but there will be better days!

Carrie Maclennan said...

Hi there! I just wanted to leave a quick note to thank you for our little ninja fella. 'Twas good to meet you on Saturday. We had a swell time. I read your feedback on the Mafia market. Shame you didn't make your million. To be honest though, the footfall was actually pretty good considering Byres Road was dead and moneywise I made slightly less thn normal but not by much - covered table cost + taxis + made some cash too. It might help if you came and shared your experience with some likeminded folk who've been doing fairs in the vicinity for some time? We're having our social event in Mono tomorrow from 7pm if you want to pop by! :o) Lady Wurlitzer/GCM Press Officer

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

keep on keepin on! i have had those not so good ones, and i probably will again. but, i have had a couple AWESOME ones that keep me keepin on. so! promote your OWN way, put flyers up and work it. to me, a library (upstairs or not) may not be the best place for a craft show. i envision everyone being 'shushed' by an older lady with glasses slid down on her nose. no one wants to be shushed when then just purchased a fun piece of art!

stellamystar said...

Hi there

I bought one of your ninjas on Saturday and also had a stall. I've done several fairs at Hillhead Library over the last couple of years (and lots of other fairs too)and have done much better, although Byres Road was really quiet- whether the awful weather we've been having lately has put people off venturing out or not I don't know. It's really hard to say on any given day what will affect turnout.
It was annoying that we were told we couldn't use our banner, and it's also a shame that we're restricted with regard to opening times. That said the library is a well known venue for craft fairs and sales in Glasgow and there's certainly no chance of anyone getting 'shushed' by a librarian!

If you want to come along to our social event please do, the Mafia is about sharing experience and the banding together of small businesses so that we can have more crafty clout than we would as individuals. Hope to see you there!

Jo (stella my star)