Sunday 24 February 2008

buy buy buy!!!

With the economic downturn affecting nearly all parts of retail, including handmade I'm sure, handmade retailers have a decision to make. Do they (a) tough it out, pinch their pennies, and take the slowdown as an opportunity to restock their stuff or do they (b) attempt to kickstart the economy with a bit of retail therapy of their own? Today, I chose the latter, and went on a bit of an Etsy spending spree.


First up is this beautiful print from Madelaine - isn't it sumptuous? I adore the richness of the colours tempered with the look of emptiness and decay. It reminds me of some Sam Taylor Wood photos that were taken in rural Georgia.


Secondly, I bought this great pin from Lupin. I've been following Lupin's work for a while - she writes a great blog over at bugsandfishes, and I've been dying to treat myself to a pin of hers for a while. I love brown, pink, felt, and tea - what's not to love?



I saw this tin from HummingbirdEyes a while ago, and didn't buy it. Naturally someone else did, but when I saw it as available again, I jumped at the chance. It's going to be perfect for keeping my buttons in. Right now, they are in an old honey pot, and my buttons do actually smell like honey. Actually, that's not really such a bad thing, but I still love the tin.


Finally, craftpudding just makes gorgeous stamps. And who would say no to a piece of cuteness like this? Impossible.

As a sidenote, I discovered craftpudding and lupin, not through Etsy itself, but through flickr - another reminder of just how important non-Etsy promotion is.

Oh, and I've spent the day listening to the Juno soundtrack whilst sewing up some more magnets - fantastic. An absolute must for everyone who likes whimsical music and pay attention to lyrics.

14 comments:

ingermaaike said...

I'll often look at stuff for ages before suddenly deciding to go on a shopping spree and buying everything I had an eye on for ages.

CopperSpringsLeather said...

Great purchases.

High Desert Diva said...

Madelaine's work amazes me...I can't believe she just turned 17!

GUGAW said...

beautiful print...tempted to buy one meself!

GUGAW said...

beautiful print, i'm tempted to buy one meself!

Angie said...

oh I love that muffin stamp! I've seen that sellers stuff so many times, and have considered purchasing from her :)

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Your pictures are great.Make me green with envy...

MGoodell said...

nice purchases! If you wanna do some more shopping, be sure to stop on by! :)

there are so many talented people on etsy, its amazing

OMB said...

I know you had fun kickstarting the economy!!! Great purchases.

The Banner Queen said...

Oh my I love that print!! What a great purchase

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

Envy..and jealous..want the print and the pin and an etsy shopping spree...!

JaK Random Art said...

Great finds!

Kirsten said...

I love Etsy shopping!

I anticipate that we'll see a little shopping rush on Etsy as the tax returns and the extra rebate get back to consumers.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for featuring my print, I really appreciate it, and hope your order arrives soon! :D