Friday 8 February 2008

is it business or pleasure, sir?

One of the enduring conflicts that I have whilst working on Moose and Bear is figuring out whether I am doing it for business or pleasure. I know that it will never become a full-time occupation for me, but there is still the question as to whether I am looking to operate at a profit or not.

For example, this week I have been working on fulfilling a consignment order. To be honest, it hasn't been fun, because I have been working to order, rather than doing what inspires me. And yet, if another store asked me to do consignment, I would probably say yes, because I know that getting my product out into stores is a good move for me. Also, I purchased a spreadsheet from JJMFinance the other day for $5 to track my hearts and views. To be honest, if I was looking to operate on a profit, I would have taken an hour and built one myself. And whilst I am looking to track my hearts and views from a marketing perspective, I have a feeling it is really more about vanity. I also purchased a showcase (advertising slot) on Etsy for next week. I have spent some time in forums and have learnt that these are generally not a good idea, and don't give a good return on investment. However, I really wanted to actually experience this for myself, rather than take the perceived wisdom from the forums. I guess I am very much at the point of this being a hobby for me, albeit one that I'd like to be self-funding at least, and it is at the moment. It would be really nice if it could become more than self-sustaining, but that is a dream away at the moment.

1 comment:

Celadon X said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.